Background Image for Header:
Having a winning idea is one thing, but making enough money at it to support your ambitions and lifestyle is another. Start with a good idea that fills a need or void in the marketplace. Add a strong team, sound strategy and add a little capital, and watch your dreams become reality. As this competition evolves, visit this section to review timely information to help you turn your idea into a reality.
- Start a Business in West Virginia - Step by Step
- U.S. Small Business Administration
- WV Small Business Development Center
West Virginia Business Information
- Business for West Virginia: For resources about West Virginia regulations and laws, as well as links to other resources.
- WV Department of Commerce: Information about business assistance, taxes, information by region, etc.
Starting a Business
- A 30-Point Checklist for Your Startup
- 10 Steps to Open for Business
- Startup How-To Guides
- Team Building Techniques
- AmEx's open forum, Resource center and forum to ask questions and get feedback from other small business owners
- Free business tools, for both offline & online businesses; offers useful tools for various phases of running and growing a small business.
- Marketing planning tips & templates
- Business Model Canvas Explained (video)
- Teaching Kids Business
- The Business Model Canvas
Starting a Business Blog
Intellectual Property, often known as IP, allows people to own their creativity and innovation in the same way that they can own physical property. The owner of IP can control and be rewarded for its use, and this encourages further innovation and creativity to the benefit of us all.
The four main types of IP are:
- patents for inventions - new and improved products and processes that are capable of industrial application
- trade marks for brand identity - of goods and services allowing distinctions to be made between different traders
- designs for product appearance - of the whole or a part of a product resulting from the features of, in particular, the lines, contours, colors, shape, texture or materials of the product itself or its ornamentation;
- copyright for material - literary and artistic material, music, films, sound recordings and broadcasts, including software and multimedia
For more information, visit the US Patent and Trademark Office website.
WVU Library Research Services Department
PO Box 6069, Morgantown, WV 26506
- Tough Things First (Ray Zinn)
- The Ten Day MBA (Steven Silbiger)
- The Millionaire Next Door (Stanley & Danko)
- Seven Habits of Highly Successful People (Stephen Covey)