Background Image for Header:
High school teachers and college professors: use these resources to set your students up for success in the Business Plan Competition!
In Round 1, you will formulate your business idea, build a team, and complete the Business Model Canvas, a high-level overview of what your business will be. Successful teams are able to competently convey an innovative business idea in a few words.
The Business Model Canvas (Collegiate)
- Round 1 Business Model Canvas Template
- Business Model Canvas Explained (video)
- The Business Model Canvas
- Item-by-Item Help Guide for the Business Model Canvas
- Business Model Generation (Alex Osterwalder)
Using the Lean Canvas (High School)
- Round 1 Lean Canvas Template
- An Introduction to Lean Canvas
- The Lean Canvas (free download)
- Lean Canvas: Uber Example
- How to Create Your Lean Canvas
- Social Enterprise, say what?!
- What Is a Social Enterprise?
- 5 Reasons Why Social Entrepreneurship Is The New Business Model (Forbes)
Round 2 (Collegiate Only)
In Round 2, semifinalists write and submit a feasibility study, sit in one-on-one interviews with multiple judges, and present a 2-minute pitch to judges and other semifinalists. Successful teams can showcase enthusiasm for their business and ultimately convince judges that their business is needed in the market and feasible to operate.
Pitching a Business Idea
- How to Effectively Pitch Business Ideas
- How to Write a Powerful Elevator Pitch
- 5 Ways to Win Your Pitch, According to…Robert Herjavec
- Dressing for Interviews
Writing a Feasibility Study
In the final round, teams write and submit a complete business plan, and give a presentation to a panel of judges followed by Q&A. Successful teams in the final round have well-thought-out business ideas, can clearly convey the market's need for their business, and can demonstrate their commitment to the success of the business.
Writing a Business Plan
- Writing a Business Plan
- Free Business Plan Software & Templates
- SBDC: The Winning Business Plan
- Business Plan Template & Guide
- Tough Things First (Ray Zinn)
- The Ten Day MBA (Steven Silbiger)
- The Millionaire Next Door (Stanley & Danko)
- Seven Habits of Highly Successful People (Stephen Covey)
- Talking to Humans (Giff Constable)
- How to Build a Personal Brand
- 7 Things You Can Do to Build An Awesome Personal Brand
- Resume Checklist
- Action Verbs to Enhance Your Resume
- Cover and Thank You Letter Examples & Templates
- Common Interview Questions